Pages

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Banditos for Dead Man's Hand

I'm back to the blog after a family vacation in the Blue Ridge Mountains.  I filled my days with hikes to waterfalls,  great food and local craft beers. Southern hospitality is alive and well. The locals I met treated me like a neighbor and not a road weary stranger. As much as I needed the break, it is great to be back home again and at the painting table.

Banditos are the last gang off the table for The Legend of Dead Man's Hand. With plethora of pistols as a gang attribute, they don't suffer "out of ammo" results. Ambush allows a gang member to disappear off the table and reappear elsewhere. They can also use hostages as human shields and also toss dynamite. When it comes to camp and color, banditos cannot be beat.

Figures in Dead Man's Hand get roughly used. When a figure tumbles from a 2nd or 3rd floor perch during a game, they can get chipped. I've switched to a Krylon Matte finish instead of my usual sealer to reduce chipping. While providing a bit more protection, Krylon also dries to a satin finish. All of this is to say that the figures look shinier in the pictures below than on the tabletop.  
I was able to expand my palette with this bunch. The Mexican blanket was a bit of fun and the gang leader in black was as well. He could almost pass as the great-great grandfather of Cheech Marin.
Before I paint, I profile my subject by collecting a folder of inspirational pictures and articles.  I found loads of great B & W photos of banditos. Here are a couple of my favorites.


34 comments:

  1. Beautifully painted characters. I like the lady gunslinger a lot. BTW, you can always go over the Krylon with a light spray of Testors Dullcote if you want the finish flatter. I've read that Minwax stain also strengthens the finish of figures - which I hope will be the case when I get my F&IW figs on the table. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! Good suggestion, I do have that in the basement.

      As long as you avoid fighting from 2 or more stories up, your F & IW figs should be fine.

      Delete
  2. A great bunch, nicely painted and I like the detail on the back of the leader.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dannoc, the leader was a very nice sculpt!

      Delete
  3. Nice post muchacho, love your work on the colors, especially the yellow/brown!
    All the best, "New Monty"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent bunch of Banditos! I like how much you've made them individually different, yet cohesive enough to look like they belong together. True for all your gangs and warbands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iowa, and good eye. After years of painting "barbarian" armies, I do try to repeat colors enough to make irregulars pleasing to the eye. It is a very fine line and thanks for noticing!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful Monty, love the colours, they look like great fun to paint too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! Good, lively figures make good painting so much easier.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous looking bandida y bandios! I really like your DMH stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moiterei! I've enjoyed the 2nd run of Old West painting more than the first. The first time through I was just finding my way. Now its fun!

      Delete
  7. I do like these. You've done some nice detail work here. That blanket is eye catching and the detail on the top edge of the sombrero is great. Did you do free hand work on the back of that black jacket?

    Have you heard of the new Wargame Bloggers Quarterly web magazine? I think you should submit some things to the next issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I cannot take credit for the back of the jacket. The leader was sculpted with embroidery on his arms, boots, front and back of the jacket. That had to be tough to do.

      I just read the WBQ last night...great magazine! If I can think of something I would gladly submit. I think you should submit an article as well. You do many high end techniques that I have never tried.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic! Masterful "light vs dark" technique. The yellow and browns are very pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! I do have a new favorite color for "buckskin," and it shows. ;-)

      Delete
  9. What a colourful bunch. Like they just stepped out of a Spaghetti Western.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! Dead Man's Hand plays like a Spaghetti Western so I'll call it a perfect match. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Great stuff, they are so full of colour and character. It's not easy to pull off the tough guy look while wearing a sombrero, but these hombres manage it! Sounds like a very entertaining game to play. Cheers, Paul :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! Whatever you do, don't challenge them to a "who has the bigger hat" contest.

      Delete
  11. very nice, can't beat a filthy Mexican bandito in a huge hat !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see all sorts of opportunities to cut up with this bunch. "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

      Delete
  12. Very cool looking bunch of bandidos! That green clad fella looks especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonas, thanks! I lived about 90 minutes from the Mexican border some years ago. Thanks to trips down there, I can still remember what a colorful Mexican serape looks like!

      Delete
  13. Awesome job on those Banditos. They look really, really good.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning work on the Bandidos!
    Honestly I don't find them too shiny on the pictures. Don't worry about that.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stefan! I normally shoot my pics before I put Krylon on. Glad it didn't ruin the photos!

      Delete
  15. Really liking some of the detail on these, Monty. The striped poncho is great.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus! I hope you're settled in and enjoying your new digs!

      Delete
  16. Lovely painting job, I really like the sombreros.
    John

    ReplyDelete